Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Analog/Digital Inspiration

May 16th was the last time I remember participating in a structured activity. This summer has been the most relaxing, stress-free time of my life. Short of a class at UM-Dearborn, my life has been pretty carefree. Late mornings, trash TV, and complete home cooked meals are just some of the highlights.

So I've never understood the use of a blog as an online diary. I will try my best not to make it one. The objective of starting a blog was to track the job process and try to shed a little insite on the subject. After 34 interviews, 8 flights, and 10 corporate meals, I finally settled on a company in Houston, TX. I had a chance to visit their facilities some time ago. I never had a chance to make it in to downtown Houston. Should I be worried about moving there without ever visiting? Maybe. Am I? Not a bit.


The things to be concerned about:
  1. Finding a place to live
    1. Close enough to work to have a relativly short commute
    2. In a good area of town (i.e. Left Pocket Gang territory)
    3. In a fun part of town
    4. Price
    5. Ammenities
  2. The Move
    1. U-Haul
    2. Moving In
    3. What to Bring
    4. Moving a Car to TX
    5. Moving out of Ann Arbor
  3. The Paperwork
    1. I've gotten at least 10 forms for taxes, direct deposit, liability, benefits, etc... that I have to fill out
  4. The Job
    1. Will I like this?
    2. Will my desk be nice?
    3. Will I really spend the next 30 years here?
    4. What time is lunch?
    5. How much cnn.com can I explore without being fired?
  5. Texas
    1. Will I be required to join the minutemen?
    2. How can I get a David Carr Texans jersey?
    3. How long will it take until "Ya'll" becomes part of my regular vernacular?
It might not seem like much but I feel like a mouse looking up at a mountain. Good thing I'm 300+lbs. Maybe I can just move the mountain. This is an exciting process and while it's daunting, I'm really looking forward to it. My only real concern is the friends that will visit and treat Houston like the Brown Jug.

1 Comments:

At 6/25/2006 11:55 PM, Blogger Tom Campion said...

Big changes are ahead for everyone's favorite Bizhub. I'm not sure if you need more assistance in figuring out where to live in H-town, but people sometimes post on the Nashville and Detroit messageboards on UrbanPlanet.org about "Where should I live? I'm new to the area." As luck should have it, there is also a Houston messageboard on UrbanPlanet.org. Knock yourself out, kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home