Wednesday, August 16, 2006

18 Innings? Don't Mind If I Do


Last night I had the chance to watch my first Astros game at Minute Maid Park. I watched Roger Clemens pitch against the Chicago Cubs. I bought tickets around noon and got a ticket down the first base line in the highest row of the stadium. Even after taking a tour earlier in the afternoon, I was still pretty amazed with the stadium.

Allthough the Astros lost, it was a game for the record books. If you're familiar with the stadium, you know they have the deepest straight away center of any ballpark, 346 feet from home plate. As you approach the wall in center field, you'll notice a 30-degree, uphill slope - "Tal's Hill" - for a center field warning track, and a flag pole in the field of play create unique actions for any ball that gets past an outfielder. Before last night, only one player had conquered center field in game play. Last night, Chicago Cub's Jacque Jones also conquered this wall becoming the second player in Minute Maid history to clear center field.

Outside from the long-ball, the game also went in to a Minute Maid record 18 innings. Lasting until midnight, the game eventually turned to a loss for the Astros but proved to be worth the $10 ticket. The Astros lost 6-8 and played a game that equated to two normal MLB games. It was a great game to make my first (of many) at Minute Maid Park.

To those who might visit during baseball season: Make sure to let me know early so we can catch a convenient game at Minute Maid Park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home