Saturday, August 12, 2006

Man It's Hot

I’m in awe. After 17 grueling hours on the road Thursday and another 5 today, I’ve finally arrived in my new home: Houston, Texas. My dad, driving the 10-foot U-Haul, arrived about an hour before my mom and me. Upon our arrival, we proceeded in to the leasing office to take care of the paper work, check out the facilities, and do some stretching after spending the night in Texarkana, TX.

When we walked in, we were both stunned. Not to blow my own horn, but I pick well. Even on our drive in to the leasing office, we were greeted by a fantastic, new Minute Maid Park. When we walked in the office, there were plush sofas, amazing décor, and friendly staff. After sitting down and signing some papers (about 30) I was given a key to my room, a keyless fob that opened all the doors in the complex, and a garage door opener for the parking structure.

I took a few minutes to look at the fabulous pool at the center of the complex – complete with multiple grills, coolers, and pop machines- which permits booze, the huge fitness facility, the “business center” with capabilities to fax, print, and surf the internet, and the theatre room. Now let it be known – moving the big screen up the 3 stairs we had to proved to be a small challenge. Maybe it was unnecessary. The theatre room has stadium seating, a high definition projection system, and an unreal sound setup. I can only image Halo 2.

So after leaving the main facility in awe, my mom and I went up to my room, loft #1221, which was on the second floor. My dad had been moving in things from the U-Haul for about an hour and a half. The only items left were the big-ticket things like the dresser, bed, sofa, and television. I was greeted by a sight so beautiful I nearly shit myself. (my go-to move when I’m elated) The loft was huge, brand new, spacious, gigantic, massive, mammoth, colossal, and awesome. The bathroom has both a shower (with 2 heads, one on either wall) and a high-powered bath tub. The loft has two huge walk-in closets for storage and a great closet for clothes. Sitting here with things left sitting in boxes seems like a crime. I want to unpack, clean, organize, and show off my new place to anyone who would look.

As we finished unloading, my parents decided there were going to check in to their hotel and clean up so we could meet for dinner. I drove them to their hotel downtown, about 5 blocks away, and saw on my return trip the crowds headed to the stadium for an Astros game. What a fabulous sight. Imagine Comerica Park surrounded by great residential areas minutes from a bustling downtown. Well, so it kind of is... but image now you aren’t scared for your life. That’s the difference.

I haven’t been here long, I haven’t seem much (or any) of the city, but I know this is going to be fantastic. It’s a drag my parents are still writing checks for me but soon enough I’ll be able to repay them. Why? I’ve got a job. I’m a yuppie now (young urban professional) and I live with a bunch of other yuppies. I spent many long hours searching for the right place to live. I think I did a good job.

1 Comments:

At 8/13/2006 3:18 PM, Blogger Tom Campion said...

This sounds fantastic. I'm glad you're excited about Houston and doing new stuff. Remember that some day your friends will visit and treat your apartment like the Brown Jug.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home